Sunday, September 10, 2006

Build Day 32.....Splitting the Rover Gearbox

Didn't get half of what I wanted to do today. Removed the last few bits and bobs from the Rover, which is now ready to be taken to the scrapper, but then I spent the rest of my time today trying to split the Rover Gearbox apart. Basically, I want to use the bellhousing from the box to mate to the rear wheel drive Ford box, but to do this I needed to remove the back 'Gearbox' part - easier said than done. The main issue was removing the driveshafts, which according to the Haynes manual, should simply pries off with a large screwdriver - After two hours and resorting to larger and lager hammers, pry bars etc, the shafts finally came off, allowing me to do the split:



The next job here is to remove the extraneous gearbox bits from the bellhousing casting, clean it up, then start designing an adapter plate to allow the ford gearbox to mate up. I'll do some prototyping first in MDF to get the design right, then have it made up in steel plate - watch this space....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home