Sunday, February 04, 2007

Build Day 66.....Which Clutch?

I seem to have been very busy with work and other things lately, but I finaly got to spend some time on the car this afternoon, after first spending the morning fixing my everyday car :(

I've decided the paint I was testing (here) was up for the job. Not the best finish when brushed on, but it's very strong/hard wearing, can be used without a primer, and you can wash your brushes in water afterwards. So, I've prep'ed and started painting the front wishbones. The first coat is now on and looks OK.

Also spent time refining the design for the gearbox adapter. Now the original gearbox was a Honda unit using a 24 spline input shaft, whereas the type-9 gearbox from the sierra donor is 23 spline, so I needed to find a clutch friction plate that will fit the original clutch mechanism, but have 23 splines.

After some research I thought I’d found one. It's a plate used on 2.3 and 2.6 Rover SD1s and also on some Sherpa vans.

I went to my local motor factors and they can get hold of one, but only as part of a full kit – along with a full kit price :(

Having then posted my problems sourcing such a plate on the Locost builders forum (here), it was suggested I could in fact use a slightly smaller clutch plate (something like that used in a Mondeo). This seems a much better bet as these are much more readily availably. I've already put a bid in for one on ebay - and as I type, I am winning on £9.99

Fingers crossed :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home